How to Find The Best LASIK Eye Surgeon
Once you’ve decided to undergo LASIK eye surgery, your first crucial step is to choose the best surgeon for the procedure. The right surgeon will significantly increase the likelihood of attaining a satisfying outcome. When selecting, there are a few factors to consider. For example, qualifications, skills, and reputation make all the difference in this industry. Take some time to research your surgeon beforehand.
Finding the Best LASIK Surgeon
Some key factors to consider include:
- Licensing: State licensing boards are the only people to validate a surgeon’s credentials. You may check your surgeon’s credentials via the National Practitioner Data Bank.
- Board Certification: Ask your selected surgeon if they have the proper board certification beyond a necessary medical license. An organization such as the American Board of Ophthalmology requires board-certified physicians to finish specific training and undergo continuing education for their chosen career paths.
- Referrals: Before scheduling a consultation appointment, consider asking your regular eye care practitioner for a reference. Tell your doctor explicitly that you want the best LASIK surgeon in your area; one with a reputation for outstanding results and minimal risk factors.
While the above factors are of the utmost importance, you’ll also want to consider a few other fundamental qualifications as well. These include:
- Your LASIK surgeon should have experience with the LASIK procedure. It is not uncommon for surgeons to perform up to 50,000 or more procedures throughout their career.
- You should personally feel comfortable around your surgeon. They should be eager to answer your questions and educate you.
- You should never feel pressured to undergo LASIK.
- Be wary of over-promises. LASIK is terrific, but there are limits to what the operation can accomplish.