Advantages of LASIK Eye Surgery
LASIK has risen in popularity over the years. Sure, there are still myths surrounding the procedure, and there may always be. However, surgeons are working hard to combat these myths. Today, over 600,000 Americans undergo LASIK to correct nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. Something must be going right. LASIK provides numerous benefits, and more patients hear about the procedure in a positive light!
Before even considering LASIK, it is best to educate yourself. Learn all about the benefits and potential outcomes, and keep your expectations in check.
Those benefits we mentioned include:
- Most patients experience no pain during LASIK
- Vision improvements are immediately noticeable. An estimated 95 percent of LASIK patients improve their vision to 20/40 or higher, with 85 percent returning to 20/20 vision.
- No bandages or stitches are required
- You may resume normal activities within 24 hours
- LASIK takes a few weeks to adjust, and results are permanent
- Patients experience a reduction in the need for glasses, and some no longer wear them whatsoever
- Patients experience high savings per year due to the lack of eyeglass prescription updates
Are You a Candidate?
Like any procedure, there are ideal candidates for LASIK. If you would like to know if you’re a suitable candidate for laser eye surgery, consider the following questions:
- Are you at least 18 years old?
- Are you at least 21 years old? If yes, LASIK can be performed to treat moderate to severe nearsightedness or farsightedness, with or without astigmatism.
- Are your eyes healthy?
- Can you lie flat without difficulty?
- Can you keep your eyes fixated on a single point for one to two minutes?
- Are you willing to stop wearing contacts for up to one month before LASIK?